The MPA in Public Policy and Administration offers specialization in Management and Operations, Human Resources Management, Law and Public Management, Criminal Justice Policy and Administration, Emergency Management, and Urban Affairs. Being a large urban program in one of the world’s most diverse cities affords the opportunity to work with people from all walks of life, enriching educational experience, and push the frontier of diverse leadership in the public sector.
- Management and Operations (Campus and Online)
- Human Resources Management (Campus and Online)
- Law and Public Management (Campus Only)
- Criminal Justice Policy and Administration (Campus and Online)
- Emergency Management (Campus and Online)
- Urban Affairs (Campus Only)
- Public Policy Analysis (Campus Only) (This specialization is not offered)
Our Inspection and Oversight program is unique. It trains students to work as monitors of government programs, fighting fraud, waste, corruption, and mismanagement. Not only does it offer an extraordinary variety of coursework designed to impart the necessary skills, but it also offers a connection to the Association of Inspectors General (AIG), a national organization of state and local inspectors general, physically housed in and administered out of our offices. Our students have the opportunity to network at the annual AIG conference, and to be mentored by members of AIG.
- Forensic Accounting (Campus Only)
- International Inspection and Oversight (Campus and Online)
- Investigation and Operational Inspection (Campus and Online)
- Organizational Assessment and Monitoring (Campus and Online)
- Law and Inspection and Oversight (Campus Only)
- Inspection and Oversight for Healthcare Services (Campus and Online) – In this specialization, campus students can enroll for online courses, and online students can enroll in campus courses.
- Advanced Certificate in Forensic Accounting (Campus and Online). This is listed as an online certificate). Does not limit students from taking Campus or Online courses.
The programs (PPA and IO) share common foundation courses, and a student admitted to one program can transfer to the other program without special approval or application fees.
SATURDAY SCHDUELE – (Campus)
- Campus selective specialization courses are offered on Saturdays for Management and Operations and Human Resources Management.
Organizational Relationship between Program and University
The Graduate Studies division of John Jay College of Criminal Justice houses our two MPA programs – in Public Policy & Administration, and in Oversight & Inspection. The Dean of Graduate Studies helps to represent its interests to the College administration and tries to coordinate the activities of the various graduate programs. At the same time, the Public Management Department, as part of the Undergraduate division of the College, pays and supervises the faculty of the MPA programs. John Jay College itself is one of the senior colleges of the City University of New York (CUNY). Of its seventeen-member Board of Trustees, CUNY’s governing body, the Governor of the State of New York appoints ten and the Mayor of the City of New York, five. The Board appoints CUNY’s Chancellor, its chief executive and educational officer.