What Does Career Advisor Do?
The MPA Career Advisor and Coach talks to students and alumni about their professional development goals and ways to achieve those goals. Also, cultivates relationships and creates employer partnerships for recruitment and mentorship opportunities. Below are some of the topics that are discussed with students during an advisement session:
- Career coaching & exploration
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing and Structuring
- Personal/ Purpose Statement Development
- Resume & Cover letter Editing and Revisions (for students I’ve already met with)
- Mock Interviews
- Linked-In Profile Creation and Summary
- Job-search Techniques
- Internship Search Techniques
- Networking Techniques
- Confidence building
The career advisor helps students identify their top skills, qualities, and interests and the ways it translates to the field of Public Administration.